Thursday, March 11, 2010

MELTDOWN


I saw a glimpse of spring this morning. I loaded Nate in the car to head out to Bible Study and the sun was shining, the birds were chirping and for a moment I was warm enough that I needed to take my coat off. It didn't last long. The clouds quickly returned.

The good news is that we have had temperatures above freezing for more than a week now and we can see our yard again!! It's wet, but it's there. Our 16 inches of snow has finally melted. I thought we'd never see our yard again.

I think it's time we put away our Christmas decorations. No excuses now.

Our poor reindeer has had a long winter buried in a foot and a half of snow.

Basically every river in Iowa is under a Flood Warning because of melting snow, ice jams, and rainy weather, the rivers are rising. We've had a few flash floods along some of the rivers because the melting ice is causing ice jams which leads to sudden floods along the rivers. (I'm glad I don't live near a river!)

With the warmer temps, Nathan and I have had a few opportunities to go for walks around the block. Our walk last Friday was pretty hilarious. I saw this huge puddle just off the edge of the sidewalk coming up in front of us. I turned around to get Nate to stay on the right side of the sidewalk and away from the puddle. He was too fast for me. He then (as I knew would happen) tripped and fell face first into the muddy puddle. He had mud and leaves all over the left side of himself head to toe.

Once I got him quieted down (it scared him for obvious reasons), we stopped by our neighbor Christi's house. While standing in the driveway talking, Nate discovered he had a shadow. It was the funniest thing. He kept going behind a bush, then would step out in the sun and see the shadow.. and then step back behind the bush. When he went out on the driveway, he started backing away trying to get away from the shadow. Then he started crying and wanted up into my arms to get away from it. Too funny. I guess at some point, a person's gotta realize they have a shadow and their shadow will be with them for life.

0 comments: