Sunday, October 22, 2006

Movie Review: Marie Antoinette

How would you like to live like that?? I really enjoyed Marie Antoinette. I read numerous bad reviews before going, but I still really like it. I love watching those movies that transport you to another time.




It's amazing how the French royalty lived! The movie shows Marie Antoinette, Austrian royalty, wedded to the Prince of France. She had never met him before she was brought to Versaille. Her life is crazy. People dress her, bathe her, feed her. She is not allowed to even REACH for anything! She seems very bored with her life most of the time as she just lazes around looking at new fabrics and shoes and eating pastries and listening to music. She becomes quite the partier with all of her mistresses in the court. And she racks up quite the bills.



The movie ends with the French Revolution. The French people are just fed up and storm Versaille. And if you know your french history, you know she looses her head!














In history, Marie Antoinette has been known as actually a very awful woman. And while she did spend a lot on herself and was very extravigant in this movie, it made her seem like a better person.



Chris asked after movie if I thought I was a decendant of Marie Antoinette. I said no, probably not - I'm probably a decendant of one of the people carrying the pitch forks at the end! Ha!



The movie moves a bit slowly, and there's not a great deal of talking. But that didn't bother me because the film is so visually stunning! The scenery (they really shot the movie in Versailles), the costumes and makeup, and the music all made up for the slow pace. It was very much "eye-candy" in a sense. It made me wish I could sit around and eat pastries and drink champagne all day!

Plus, I think I have a girl crush on Kirsten Dunst. Hmm. I just really like watching her movies.

I highly recommend this movie. It's not the greatest movie I've seen, but it was very enjoyable to see all the costumes and greatness of France on the big screen.

If any of you see this flick, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it!

0 comments: