Monday, February 22, 2010

Another Attempt at Mongolian Beef


So this was my third attempt at a Mongolian Beef recipe. The first two (this one and this one) have not quite hit the mark. Attempt #1 was a long time favorite recipe, but it never quite had the exact flavor I was looking for. In fact, the flavor seemed to vary each time. And Attempt #2 was alright... but the worst of them all. It was made in a crockpot which was intriguing to me, as I'm always looking for an easy recipe I can just dump in a pot and let sit all day to cook.

This latest attempt I had photocopied out of a book where they had re-creations of restaurant favorites. I'm having a hard time remember who exactly had the book from which I photocopied it from. I came across the recipe this weekend and realized I had never attempted it.

It was quick and simple to make and the flavor the closest yet to the monogolian delight.

Since I don't have a link to an online site with the recipe, I'll share it below.

Ingredients for the Sauce:
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup dark brown sugar

Remaining Ingredients:
1 cup vegetable oil
1 lb flank steak
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 large green onion

1. Make the sauce by heating 2 tsp of oil in medium sauce pan over medium/low heat. Add ginger and garlic to the pan and quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches. Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, then raise the heat to about medium and boil the sauce for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove it from the heat.

2. Slice the flank steak against the grain into 1/4 inch thick bite-size pieces.

3. Dip the steak pieces into the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece. Let the beef sit for 10 minutes.

4. As the beef sits, heat up one cup of oil in a wok or skillet. Heat the oil over medium heat until it's hot, but not smoking. Add the beef to the oil and saute for just two minutes or until the beef just begins to darken on the edges. Stir the meat around so it cooks evenly. Use a slotted spoon to take the meat out and place onto paper towels. Pour oil out of the wok/skillet. Put the pan back on the heat, dump the meat back in and simmer for one minute. Add the sauce and cook for one minute while stirring, then add the green onions. Cook for one more minute, then remove the beef and onions to a serving plate. Serve over rice.

Enjoy!

0 comments: