Sunday, October 31, 2010

TRICK OR TREAT!!!! .... Errrr, I Mean, "Knock, Knock"......

The Des Moines tradition of Beggars' Night took place on Saturday night. What is Beggars' Night you might be asking?? It's Central Iowa's take on Trick or Treating. I'm not sure why or when, but at some point along the way, towns in this part of the state started have kids go door to door for candy on the night BEFORE Halloween. Again, I'm not quite sure the reason behind this. I've heard it's because city leaders think it's safer than having the kids out on Halloween. Who knows? All I know, is I trick or treated for some 15 years on Halloween and never was in a dangerous situation. And one other twist to the Beggar's Night tradition is that the kids are supposed to tell you a joke when they come to your door, instead of yelling Trick or Treat. I do admit, the joke part is pretty fun. I learn some good ones by the end of the night.

"Why didn't the skeleton cross the road? He had no guts."

"What animal is a skeleton afraid of? Dogs."

"Why did the football team go to the bank? To get their quarterback!"

"Where do mummies like to swim? The Dead Sea"

This year, since we live in Iowa, we dressed Nate up on Saturday night and he hit the sidewalks of Urbandale in the search for candy for the first time.

The Bruins were kind enough to lend us an adorable Elmo suit, which Nate wore hestitantly...


but once he saw all the fun kids were having outside wearing crazy clothes, he went along with it.



Our first stop was at the Millers where both Nate and his buddy Lincoln both looked like they might burst into tears when they first saw each other (I mean how would you feel if a furry red guy was walking up your side walk or a sword wielding nearly 3 year old was standing inches from your nose?)

They finally warmed up to one another and realized this was all about fun!



My favorite part about Halloween is seeing everyone out on the streets, talking and laughing with one another. It's so great to see all your neighbors out. I wish there were more occasions like this... big ol' block parties!


The other nice part about a Halloween like last night is all the compliments you receive as a meteorologist! Lots of "Atta, Girl"s and "Great job on the weather!"s and just plain old "You're awesome!"s. Last year's Beggars' Night was pretty crummy (52 degrees with light rain between the hours of 5 and 8 PM)... so I deserved a year where I... I mean all my viewers... could wear short sleeves! (This year: 70 degrees and Mostly Clear)

2010 Beggars' Night is done... now it's time for me to start brainstorming on Nate's costume for next year and maybe I might even try to make it myself! Ha.

0 comments: