I've decided it's hard to be a working mom.
Nathan and I survived day 1 of day care. I was able to leave work at 4:30 and arrived at Nathan's day care at 4:50. When I got there, Karen (his caregiver) was reading him and her 3 year old daughter Abby a book. He seemed very happy. Karen said he had been happy and pleasant all day. He didn't get upset until I went to put him in his carseat carrier.
Karen tells me that he slept until 9 AM (he was asleep when we dropped him off at 8:30). He then slept again from 11 to 1:15. She woke him up to eat at that time. So that was a good two hours. He stayed awake though for the rest of the afternoon. He didn't even fall asleep in the car when she went to pick up her kids from school. He was pretty wiped out when I got there though and promptly fell asleep as we drove home.
So my next thought about the day is this: It's hard to be a working mom. He was passed out in his carseat, so as soon as I got home I started washing all of his bottles and my pumping gear from the day. I then made up his bottles for tomorrow. I started preparing dinner (hot dogs and fries) and emptied the dishwasher. And I also put in a load of laundry (I'm out of pants for work tomorrow). I did all of that in the time span of 5:15 to 5:45.
He woke up angry when he did finally wake up just before 6 (when Chris got home). I think because he's still tired. I just went ahead and nursed him (even though it had only been 2 hours since his last bottle), while I ate my dinner. He then calmed down and we've been able to give him a bath. He's now laying on the floor playing with dad.
I don't know how I'm going to manage this working mom thing. I think I totally underestimated all that working moms do. I've decided that the next few years are going to be some of the hardest of my life.
Now I'm trying to make a decision. I've been really looking forward to going to the Body Jam class at my gym. It's tonight at 7:30 PM. However, now I'm just exhausted. Plus, I nursed Nate a little earlier than I would have liked and I'm afraid he's going to get hungry again... specifically while I'm at the gym. I would love to just veg out on the couch tonight and have a bowl of ice cream. But at the same time, I'd like to get in some exercise. So I'm in a bind. I don't know which way to go. What's better for me... relaxation after a long day or a trip to the gym?

0 comments:
Post a Comment