Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Tough Little Guy

I thought I'd give you an update on Nathan's recovery. Overall - it's going well. The bladder spasms are coming few and far between. Yesterday, he only had one.... today - none! Yay!
On Monday morning, we took him to the urologist to remove the bandages. He was a VERY good boy. He laid very still on the exam table as the doctor unwrapped the bandage. It took about 5 minutes to do. It was not until the very end, when the doctor unwrapped the gauze that was touching the healing area when he started crying very hard. I think it hurt to remove the gauze from the dried blood.

He's very swollen and red there. I get the shivers every time I look at it during a diaper change. It just looks so raw.

My mom did her first poopy diaper change solo since the surgery when Chris and I were at work. It was going well until Nate felt the catheter touching his leg. He then... yes... grabbed it. Not good. He started screaming and crying. It is stitched to him so he wasn't able to pull it out. But it hurt him very much.

Now every time we change him, he cries and cries as we lift him to the changing table... and he cries and cries as we are doing the diaper change. He also pulls his knees to his belly trying to keep us away from his private parts.

Other than that, he is a happy little boy like nothing is wrong. Talking and walking and playing like always. He's also sleeping relatively well. He does wake up a little more than he did before the surgery but has been going back to sleep relatively easy.

We have the catheter removed a week from tomorrow (Wednesday). I told Chris it will be his responsibility to go to that appointment because I took Nate to the bandage removal and was late to work for that. His turn is Wednesday.... I don't know how painful that will be. We will see.

That's the update! Thanks so much for thinking of us during this rough time. I appreciate the support!! And a big thank you again to my mom who's busting her tush with watching Nate all day while Chris and I have been working!

1 comments:

Liz said...

:( My heart goes out to you all! It's so tough ... hang in there! Very soon this will all be a distant memory.