Friday, November 06, 2009

Preventing the Flu

It was a VERY tough decision for me - but I decided to get Nate vaccinated against H1N1. The county health department has only been handing out the vaccine through public clinics at the fairgrounds. They've had at least one clinic a week, for the most part. The first couple of weeks there were huge lines. We were not able to get Nate vaccinated then because he had to wait 4 weeks from his 12 month shots. Finally this week, the 4 weeks were up and two clinics were being held. I thought the vaccine would run out at the first clinic on Wednesday -but it did not. I was then able to take Nate to the clinic on Thursday. I got there right at the start at 3 PM. There was a huge line but only because the clinic had not yet started yet. Once the gates were open - the line moved very quickly. I was back to my car in one hour. Not bad in my opinion.

It was weird standing in line for this mass vaccination. I felt very weird about it. It was an odd feeling to have to stand in line for a vaccine. It was almost sad to me... in a historic kind of way. I'm sure this is an experience that will be in the history books. I'm a softie like that.

I hope we made the right decision. I would kill myself if Nate got the flu and it went horribly wrong. I'm also nervous about all the what-ifs about the vaccine. But I like to think that the government is not out to hurt us and did this the right way. I mean flu vaccines are made every single year - so the vaccine manufacturers should have that down by now.

We go back in four weeks for a booster shot.

And I love the fact that Nate had a rough night last night... he's got a cold now. He was coughing a lot of the night and that kept him awake. He's having trouble with his nap now :( Poor guy. He just wants some zzzzz's.

0 comments: