Thursday, May 05, 2011

Green Thumb?

I've been inspired. Last Thursday, I joined two of my neighbors in a trip to Lucille's Garden Center. A fabulous little place that has some really spectacular plants for a steal. If you go early enough in the season, you get the best selection - because once it's gone it's gone. I've gone to Lucille's every year for the past few years with my neighbor, Christi (she introduced me to Lucille's). This year, we asked our other neighbor Sara to join us.

I had plans to get my usual flowers - petunias, portulaca, marigolds, geraniums, etc. Plus try my thumb at a few more herbs including basil, chives, oregano, cilantro, and rosemary. But Sara inspired me. She will be attempting Square Foot Gardening this year for the first time. I saw her with her arms full of good for you veggies and I decided I could at least try some tomatoes! So I bought a cherry tomato plant and a grape tomato plant. I will be potting them and growing them on my back porch.


I've never attempted to grow anything other than flowers and herbs - so this will be quite the experiment. But I'm hopeful to have a bounty of plenty that will result in tasty treats for Nathan and delicious tomato, mozarella, and basil salads for me :)

0 comments: